A role model in news

In Memoriam
Peter Jennings
1938-2005


ABC News reporter Charles Gibson came on in the special report saying: “And it is with a profound sadness and true sorrow that I report to you Peter Jennings has died tonight of lung cancer.” Tears begin welling up in my eyes as I watch.

He is the reason I watch and count on ABC News to stay informed. The quality of news at the network is a result of his constant push for excellence and real news.

In recent days, I have been waiting with baited breath for Mr. Jennings to return to the anchor desk. Unfortunately, my wish – along with the wishes of countless viewers and colleagues – will not be granted.

Peter Jennings was my role model, inspiration. He is one of the reasons why I love journalism. Whether it was breaking news or a scheduled newscast, the way he informed was poetic, simply beautiful.

“Peter did it all,” Mr. Gibson described. “He reported from every corner of the globe. No one in this business understood events overseas better than Peter…. Whenever there was a major event in the world on which to report, Peter reported it.”

Words that I will always remember: “For all of us at ABC News, I’m Peter Jennings. Good night.” God bless.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Online document creation in a Flash

Recent Star cuts represent growing trend

Week one in Chautauqua